What is Cortana? How to Kill Cortana?
Cortana is a Microsoft’s digital assistant. The primary objective of Cortana as per Microsoft is to get things done.
To get started, select the Cortana icon in the taskbar or type a command in the search bar. If you’re not sure what to say, try asking, “What can you do?”
1. Home 2. Notebook 3. Devices 4. Settings 5. Feedback
How to Turn off Cortana?
Not all of us like Cortana Digital Assistance. Most of us want to get rid of this software just for creating disturbance.
- Click on Start Button.
- Click the Settings gear on the bottom left side.
- Select Privacy option.
- How to Lock Folder Without any Software in Windows 10
- Click Speech, inking & typing.
- Select Stop getting to know me.
This process is not enough if you want cortana to completely shut-down. The complete deletion process varies on different Windows device you use. There are different procedure for Windows 10 home, Windows 10 Enterprise and Windows 10 Pro as well. So find your version of windows 10 and follow the steps.
- Click on Start.
- Search for Edit group policy.
- Click on Edit group policy.
- Goto Computer Configuration
- Select Administrative Templates
- Choose Windows Components
- Click on Search.
- Find Allow Cortana, and double-click on it.
- Click Disabled.
- After that Click OK.
How to disable Cortana on Windows 10 Home Edition?
The following process is not a common one. So, consider backing up your device properly because the process involves some editing on windows registry. Either create backup or create a restore point.
After backup, follow the processes listed below:
- Press Start Button.
- search regedit.
- Press Enter.
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
- Select SOFTWARE
- Choose Policies
- Click on Microsoft
- And Select Windows.
- Right-click the Windows directory, and choose New > Key.
- Then type Windows Search, and press enter.
- Select Windows Search.
- In the right-hand side pane, right-click in the empty area and choose New > DWORD (32-bit) Value. Type in AllowCortana, and hit enter.
- Double-click AllowCortana, and type in 0 under Value Data.
Restart your computer, and it should now be gone. Instead of “Ask me anything”, the new search box will only say “Search Windows”.
But if you like cortana then here are some useful features for you:
- Give you reminders based on time, places, or people.
- Track teams, interests, and flights.
- Send emails and texts.
- Manage your calendar and keep you up to date.
- Create and manage lists.
- Play music, podcasts, and radio stations.
- Chit chat and play games.
- Find facts, files, places, and info.
Open any app on your system.
Available Languages of Cortana
Cortana is a world-wide used digital assistance software of Microsoft. Therefore, in order to occupy Digital Assistance market it must be available in different languages. So, languages supported by the Digital assistance are as follows:
Cortana is available in these regions for these languages:
- Australia: English
- Brazil: Portuguese
- Canada: English/French
- China: Chinese (Simplified)
- France: French
- Germany: German
- India: English
- Italy: Italian
- Japan: Japanese
- Mexico: Spanish
- Spain: Spanish
- United Kingdom: English
- United States: English
Steps to Download different Speech Packs for Cortana:
Some Languages are not included while installation. Those Languages might not be important or not used more by users. Or even a new update may carry the Language pack and users haven’t updated their device yet. So, to get your desired Language pack follow these steps:
- Go to Start and open Settings .
- Select Time & language > Language.
- Select the language you want to add speech to, and then select the Options button.
- Under Speech, select Download. It may take a minute or two for the speech pack to load.
- Sign out and then sign back in for the new speech pack to be added to speech options.
- Go back to Settings > Time & language > Language, select your new language, and then use the up-arrow button to move it to the top of the list and make it the default.
- Go to Speech, and make sure the Speech language setting is aligned with the previous settings.
- Sign out and then sign back in for the new settings to take effect.
Cortana on Android and iOS
The Cortana app is available for download on Android and iOS devices. Cortana’s data collection and controls may vary based on these platforms’ capabilities and the version you’re using. This may include both system-level prompts that allow Cortana to access certain types of data, and first-time prompts when Cortana requires specific data to provide you with relevant features. You can also enable or disable Cortana’s access to certain data in the settings for individual apps. Refer to the device settings on Android and iOS devices to determine what controls you have over Cortana’s permissions to access your data.
For Cortana on Android (v.6 or later):
- Select Settings on your device, and locate App Permissions or Permissions Manager.
- Locate the settings that control Cortana’s device data collection for:
- For those data features you don’t want Cortana to access from your device, select OFF or move the switch to the left until it turns gray. It may still have access to some of this data (such as Calendar and Contacts) from other enabled devices, or from other services you’ve connected.
For Cortana on iOS:
- Select Settings > Cortana.
- Locate the settings that control device data collection for:
- Enable or disable access to those data features you don’t want made available to Cortana from your device. Note that it may still have access to some of this data (such as Calendar and Contacts) from other enabled devices, or from other services you’ve connected to Cortana.
Signing out of Cortana on your device stops data collection and use on that device and clears the interests and data on that device, but signing out won’t clear the data that’s already saved in your Privacy Dashboard. It will keep collecting data from other devices until you sign out from Cortana on those devices as well.
To turn off Cortana’s personalization and to stop data collection associated with a particular device:
- Select Cortana > Settings and click on your account information.
- Select Log out.